Current Task: ECMA-335

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Salutations,

For the few who have been watching this project, I figured I'd go on about what I've been doing for the past few weeks.

I started off by saying: I need to allow multiple type systems to target the framework.  When I tried utilizing the information about the Java Type System, I found that there's a slight dependency on the Common Type System defined by the Common Language Infrastructure; as a result, I refactored the CLIGateway's GetTypeReference(this Type type) and removed it into a common concept called an IdentityManager of which there's two kinds: TypeIdentity manager and AssemblyIdentity manager.

In this separation of concerns, I started reading the ECMA-335, the Common Language Infrastructure which defines the very meta-data associated to all .NET libraries.  As a result I've started a secondary project for the CLI which aims to properly read the metadata from the executable/dlls in which you reference.  Which will mitigate the dependency on the System.Type and further relax the dependency on the CLI itself.

Here's hoping it goes as expected.  There's a lot of reading.

Coordinator
May 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM

So far the project is going well.  I've written a CLI Metadata parser and I'm currently working out the metadata database relationships.